by Julianna Gąsiorowska

Interview with Suzuko Koseki


Today I'm very honored to present you an interview with Suzuko Koseki - very special Judge in Sew Out Loud QAL contest (the details of the contest can be found HERE and HERE is a discussion about contest).
Big thanks to Suzuko Koseki, who agreed to be our Judge and agreed to tell a lot about herself.
Big thanks also to Yasuko Yubisui, who help me with organizing this interview (she translated our questions to Suzuko Koseki and wrote down all the answers; all photos presented in this post are a property of Suzuko Koseki).



Fabrics designed by you, your books and works are very popular outside Japan, but we still don't know a lot about you. Could you tell us a little bit more about yourself? (especially about your quilting adventure)

Suzuko Koseki: I have three children. When child care was great, I wanted to find one's time and began a quilt.
Three children grew up, and there was the grandchild, but a quilt made my life rich.


For the first glance your works presented in your books seem very modern (mainly because of fabric selection and the way you use them). But after taking a closer look we can notice its traditional designs (for example floral blocks) and use of traditional techniques (like applique). Are you a modern quilter or do you feel more bound with traditional quilting?

Suzuko Koseki: I love the traditional thing. I am not aware of my work being modern.
I like Europe and an American antique atmosphere than a modern thing of the contemporary art.



Fabrics designed by you are breathtaking and unique. The colors and color combinations are gorgeous. What inspires your fabric designs and your color choices?

Suzuko Koseki: All the life becomes the source of the design. A magazine and a poster, "wonderful" including the package of the product and the thing which thought are my ideas. In addition, an accessory and the book of the antique are one of the ideas, too.


Your fabric designs incorporate text and letters. You use English and French. Is there a special reason for choosing French and English text? Do you choose text for the meaning or for the way it looks?

Suzuko Koseki:
I love English characters as a visual thing. I think that a letter is a very superior design.
Because I love France, I employ a lot of French recently.


We are also very interested in your process of working on fabric collections. How long you works on a collection? Do you design digitally or sketch out by hand?

Suzuko Koseki: I make the design of the fabric while doing fabric maker and talks of Japan. A fabric designer designs the thing which I gave an idea to. Size or the colors of the motif make arrangements many times, and one design is completed.
I produced fabric, and approximately ten years passed.



You present your fabrics, works and books on quilt shows in Japan. Do you plan to show it on quilt shows in USA or Europe?


Suzuko Koseki: Of course I want to appear to the magazine of other countries if there is an offer.


Fabrics designed by you are very hard to find outside Japan, but you've got a lot of faithful fans outside Japan (especially in USA, Europe and Australia). More US and European shops started importing your fabrics, but your fans still don't have easy access to it. Is there a chance that in future you will design a fabric collection for US based fabric manufacturer?

Suzuko Koseki: You can purchase the overseas one in WEB Shop of my HP "La Clochette", too.
But, English is not to cope, and foreign one may be hard to understand it. Give me an email by all means if I find favorite fabric.



You live in wonderful, but very far away country from a lot of your fans. In the past a group of quilters made for you a gift (Suzuko Koseki coasters). How the rest of your fans could thank you for all inspiration which you give us and for all your gorgeous fabrics and interesting books? Is there a good way to show you our appreciation?

Suzuko Koseki: I am very so glad of people except Japan liking my fabric and work. I am happy enough only with the feeling.


10 lovely comments / miłych komentarzy:

  1. It would certainly be nice if we could have easier access to her fabric in the US. I would love to see more of it over here. I like how she finds inspiration in everything, not only the design but the packaging. You can see how that is transposed into her finished designs. Great interview! Thanks for putting the effort in to set it up.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. It would certainly be nice if we could have easier access to her fabric in the US. I would love to see more of it over here. I like how she finds inspiration in everything, not only the design but the packaging. You can see how that is transposed into her finished designs. Great interview! Thanks for putting the effort in to set it up.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Awesome interview, thanks for sharing this!!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. How incredibly special, thankyou Julianna and thankyou so much to Suzuko Koseki- a constant inspiration.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  5. Thank you for taking the time to do this interview. It is always interesting and inspiring to read about the creative process of others. Thanks also to your translator and to Suzuko. Blessings

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  6. Julianno jesteś wielka!!! Jestem pod wielkim wrażeniem,że wpadłaś na taki pomysł i że udało Ci się przeprowadzić wywiad.Japończycy bardzo niechętnie gandżinom opowiadają o sobie:) Podziwiam te tkaniny a ta z liśćmi podbiła moje serce. Bardzo chciałabym mieć większy dostęp do tkanin Pani Suzuko Koseki.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  7. How did I miss this amazing post??!!

    I LOVE Suzuko Koseki soooo much!
    小関先生大好きです♪

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  8. rany,aż trudno uwierzyć ,że tak można szyć!

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Veni... Vidi... Comentare...:)))

Dziękuję za pozostawiony przez Ciebie ślad!
W miarę możliwości staram się odpisać e-mailowo autorowi każdego komentarza. Moje odpowiedzi na blogu zamieszczam, gdy może to pomóc innym czytelnikom.

/ Thank you for your lovely comment!
If possible, I try to respond to every comment. I put my answers on the blog when it could help other readers.

>